For Immediate Release December 1, 2014
Royal Newfoundland Constabulary
RNC Issue Advisory for Preventing Theft from Vehicles
(ST. JOHN’S, NL) – December 1, 2014 - The Royal Newfoundland Constabulary (RNC) would like to provide some tips to the public regarding personal vehicle security during the busy holiday shopping season. These tips are meant to help prevent vehicle break- ins, which could lead to theft of the vehicle itself or of the property stored inside the vehicle during this time of year:
• When shopping, place purchased items in the trunk or in a concealed location inside your vehicle. If your plan is to place your purchases in your vehicle and return to the store we advise you move your car to another section of the parking lot so if someone is watching you they will think you have left the area.
• Never leave a wallet, purse, personal documents or other valuables in a parked vehicle. Even empty boxes that are visible in your vehicle are enough to lure unwanted attention.
• Park in open, well-lit, and well-travelled areas.
• Secure all windows, lock all doors, and take your keys with you even if you are making a quick stop at a store, gas station, or even in your driveway.
• Never leave spare keys in your vehicle. An experienced thief knows all the hiding places. Store your spare keys in another location or on your person.
• Install an alarm system that will sound when someone attempts to break in, move, tilt, or start your vehicle. Always activate the system when exiting the vehicle.
The RNC would like to wish the general public a very safe and happy holiday Season.
- 30 –